View Single Post
Old 12-09-2006, 10:36 PM   #1
Indy Tennis
Semi-Pro

Default 3.5 playing in an Open tournament

My brother and I are both 3.5 players. We signed up for an open tourney this weekend and I thought I’d just pass along the experience.

We are solid 3.5, perhaps bordering on 4.0s. We won a 3.5 doubles tournament earlier this year and a dozen years ago we played Div. II college, so we are not without some skill.

I played the fourth seed in the first round. He’s a 5.0, just out of college and looking to play Futures soon.

He beat me 6-2, 7-5. I played a really solid match. I think he got a little complacent and played down. Nevertheless, he turned it on when he needed to. Still we had some great rallies and it was 1 hour, 50 min. match. I got some congrats from friends when I came back to the viewing area for how well I played.

My brother on the other hand, should have won his 1st round match. He actually had a match point before going down in three sets.

He went on to win a round in the Consi!

I got spanked 1 and 1 in my Consi and didn’t play well.

Yes we were a little out of our league, but my brother won a round and had three matches and I gave a seeded player a bit of a scare in the first round.

Point being, if you are a strong 3.5 don’t shy away from playing some Opens. It will give you an idea of what you need to work on, and who knows; on a good day maybe you could get an upset.

One thing’s for sure, you’ll go back to 3.5 tournaments with a bit more confidence after banging it with the big boys.

Last edited by Indy Tennis : 12-09-2006 at 11:33 PM.
Indy Tennis is offline   Reply With Quote