View Single Post
Old 12-22-2006, 09:35 AM   #8
sureshs
Bionic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindysphinx View Post
You know, everyone says not to worry about winning and just have fun. That abysmal spring season made me think that winning and having fun are related. The team was 9-46. That's losing 616 games! I'm sorry, but no matter how much you like your teammates, losing like that isn't especially fun.
Winning is fun, but losing is not a bad thing at all if the purpose is to get out there and get some exercise and meet people to be in good physical and mental health.

Winning requires increasing the level of the players. They need to practise a lot, maybe take lessons, play singles and not doubles only, etc. Just tinkering with who is whose partner and getting them to communicate really is not taking the game to the next level.

The above may sound redundant (practise makes perfect) but not so. I played in a WTT team last winter (now there are no teams at my level any more) and know lots of people at the club who play 4.0 mixed leagues. Some of them have screwed up fundamentals - one 4.0 woman hits the backhand by turning over her wrist and using the same side of the head as the forehand. By figuring out who to partner with, what strategies to use, and so on, such players have been very successful winning matches over a period of years. But the way their game has stagnated is pathetic to watch.
sureshs is offline   Reply With Quote