View Single Post
Old 01-14-2007, 10:06 PM   #5
Tennis_Gnat
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to Tennis_Gnat Send a message via MSN to Tennis_Gnat

Quote:
Originally Posted by psamp14 View Post
i cant vote on this...all those conditions are bad...well maybe cold is not as bad since if its not too cold you can warm up, break a sweat, and it could be bearable...but rain is bad for slippery courts, heavier balls, potential string pops...but a match usually gets stopped because of rain when the courts get that wet

i think wind is really bad because of obvious reasons...messes up your toss, lobs dont work, and in heat sometimes it gets to your head
Yeah, wet courts are bad. Cold isn't too bad. Heat, I don't mind because I'm usually the fitter person and take it as an advantage.
But I did play five games on wet courts, and in misty rain. I was down 1-4 in part because I was afraid of slipping and sliding. The courts were slick and the rain was getting in my eyes on the one side. We then went inside and I came back, won that set 7-5, then continued to win that match 6-0 in the second set. And my coach now was watching that match, actually, when he was recruiting me. He knew I'd win that second set easily and left before the second set even started I think. I believe it was a H.S. Sectionals match. First round. The same year, in Districts, it was ridiculously windy. I had on sweatpants and a sweat-shirt. For me, that's unusual because I get warm and sweat a lot quickly. The wind carried the ball ridiculously. It started to hail and the tournament director told us to "stop and stand still!" But everyone ran off the court. It was 4-4, maybe 4-3 during the first break, I believe. I ended up losing that match 6-4, 6-4. It was the qualifying match for states. I would've won that, I swear, if it hadn't been for the conditions and the break in momentum because of the hail. I was playing real well before the break. But I can't blame anyone but myself. I'd vote rain and wind, but I'll vote rain as worse. I've also been delayed eight hours by rain. Wind I can deal with, although not very fondly. I won a match, however in the wind. A three-setter, 6-4, 4-6, 6-4. Cold, eh, I can put on sweats. I don't like it much at all, especially with the hands, with cold fingers. I played in a 28 degree day outside once. My hands were purple. Heat, as I said before, I don't mind. I've played enough three hour clinics in 90 degree weather. With, obviously a higher heat index on the court. Won a couple in heat, too. Played two three-setters in 90 degree weather in one day. Won one, lost the second. But I played them with like 30 minutes in between.

Last edited by Tennis_Gnat : 01-14-2007 at 10:11 PM.
Tennis_Gnat is offline   Reply With Quote