View Single Post
Old 01-31-2007, 07:00 PM   #37
heycal
Hall Of Fame

I found the following interview from Tennis Magazine with Mauresmo, who I think uses a western forehand grip, interesting, and also a little puzzling:

QUESTION: YOU HIT WITH A LOT OF TOPSPIN. ON HARD COURTS, IT SEEMS LIKE YOU COULD BENEFIT FROM FLATTENING YOUR STROKES TO BREAK OPEN MORE RALLIES. HAVE YOU CONSIDERED DOING THIS?

ANSWER: I'm working on that a little bit. I do it more naturally on grass and indoors than on hard courts. But the fact is my grip doesn't allow me to play flat like other players do. And I'm not going to change my grip at 27.

Elswhere in the article, she mentions that the French Open is not the best surface for her because "it's pretty slow, which doesn't help my game. I've been playing great when I serve and volley on grass and indoors."

So what do we make of this, guys? If she can't hit flat, and uses a western grip, how can she do well at Wimbledon and serve and volley well? And if she uses a western grip and uses a lot of topspin, why can't she excel on clay like Nadal?
heycal is offline   Reply With Quote