View Single Post
Old 02-07-2007, 08:59 AM   #48
Cindysphinx
G.O.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBKLYN View Post
Losing face? Are you saying people on the team don't know who the better players are? Unless they are in a state of denial, they should know who can play and who can't.
My players know who is strong and who is weak. What they (and lots of players, I'd say) can't stomach is having this proved all out in public and everything. It is easier for a player with poor mobility to believe they were not asked to play singles because they are too valuable in doubles than to face the hard truth that they are too slow.

Quote:
Despite how good someone's stroke or technique is, you can't force someone to play singles when they don't want to. By picking randomly yourself, you might make some players unhappy. I say get your team together, by a show of hands or racquets, have those who want to play singles be heard and then decide if they are worthy.
All I can do is ask players to play singles. So far, both players I have asked have said yes. I just need 1-2 more (since I plan to play singles myself).

If I were to get everyone together and ask for a show of hands, then we would introduce the concept of "public rejection and humiliation." Everyone would know player A raised her hand and was passed over for someone else. That's not cool.

Quote:
Your team also need to decide whether they want to win or just play and don't care if they come in last place. If your team wants to win, then get the best singles players out there, win your league, get that t-shirt and water bottle, and try to make it to the Nationals. If the games don't matter, then pick whoever you want and let them experience what is like to hit the ball by themselves and do a lot of running around.
As I said in a prior thread, I think there is a third choice: winning a decent number of matches and thereby putting in a respectable showing, all the while working to improve.

Coming in last place stinks. I was on such a team last year, and it just casts a pall over everything. I think some reasonable decision-making will put us in contention to win a few and lose a few, and that ought to be make it a good season for us.