View Single Post
Old 02-08-2007, 01:59 AM   #52
JHBKLYN
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindysphinx View Post
My players know who is strong and who is weak. What they (and lots of players, I'd say) can't stomach is having this proved all out in public and everything. It is easier for a player with poor mobility to believe they were not asked to play singles because they are too valuable in doubles than to face the hard truth that they are too slow.

All I can do is ask players to play singles. So far, both players I have asked have said yes. I just need 1-2 more (since I plan to play singles myself).
I guess sometimes the truth does hurt so your way of dealing with it is a more diplomatic way to solve that situation, not to mention no hurt feelings.

Quote:
If I were to get everyone together and ask for a show of hands, then we would introduce the concept of "public rejection and humiliation." Everyone would know player A raised her hand and was passed over for someone else. That's not cool.
Perhaps you can add that whoever wants to play singles will be playing each other for the slots? This way, if one wants to embarass themselves would think twice before showing their hands. Seriously though, the team should think as a team and no one should feel embarassed or humiliated. Everybody should know their strengths and weaknesses and all should be encouraging and not discouraging. I'm wondering, as the captain of the team (I assume you are), if someone who is weak at singles really wants to play singles, will you give that person a chance or will you not let them play?

Quote:
As I said in a prior thread, I think there is a third choice: winning a decent number of matches and thereby putting in a respectable showing, all the while working to improve.

Coming in last place stinks. I was on such a team last year, and it just casts a pall over everything. I think some reasonable decision-making will put us in contention to win a few and lose a few, and that ought to be make it a good season for us.
I don't know what your league format is but I assume its 2 singles and 3 doubles? If that is the format, all you need is a good singles player and 4 good doubles players and try to win 3 out of 5 matches every time and you should be in the playoffs. What is your evaluation of your team? Do you think you have a chance to compete for the playoffs or do you think the season will be just winning a few matches here and there and putting in a respectable showing?
JHBKLYN is offline   Reply With Quote