View Single Post
Old 02-10-2007, 03:19 AM   #36
OrangeOne
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakPoint View Post
Didn't you know Federer was born wearing custom tennis shoes? That's why he's such a natural mover on the tennis court.

Of course I mean when he became a top pro on the ATP Tour, which is not a recent phenomenon. You don't have to be #1 in the world to get custom made shoes. I'm sure Nike has been making custom shoes for Federer for a long, long time, and probably well before the original Vapor 1's.
Quote:
Besides, he's ALWAYS worn custom made shoes.
Well, it's good to know that by 'ALWAYS' (in capitals and all), you meant 'since he became a top pro on the ATP tour'. That's an interesting qualification on the word 'ALWAYS', don't you think?

Quote:
Even recreational players get custom orthotics put into their shoes.
I've been wearing custom orthotics for 5 years now. But thanks for pointing it out

Quote:
Do people demo shoes?
I know some kids who may walk into a shoe store and buy the shoes player-X wears, but very few others. Usually current shoe models are obscenely overpriced, and contain very few differences to the heavily discounted and still available shoes from 1 or 2 seasons ago...

Most people I know rock on into a tennis (sports, shoe) store and try on a few different pairs within a certain price range. Sure, it's no measure at all of how they'll break in, or how they'll wear, or how they'll feel specifically on a court, but at least trying on a few pairs is better than "buying the Fed shoe".

It's a start. Some people do as much as they can. I know I couldn't tell you the specific shoe that any pro wears, but I can tell you I was the 'crazy' guy doing 5-step-sprints while 'demoing' in the shoe store a few months ago when I bought my last pair of tennis shoes.