View Single Post
Old 05-03-2007, 10:55 PM   #10
Deuce
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
^I agree.

McEnroe on court still can hang. Problem is, he believes too much of his own press. He actually believes that fans come to see him lose control. He believes that the fans want to see a 48-year old version of his 18-year old self. It's sad.
Maybe - deep down in his most personal belief - he is worried that his tennis talent is not enough to please and entertain the fans. Perhaps, despite his words of bravado, he is quite insecure about his actual tennis talent, and feels that it's not good enough to please the fans... and so he resorts to the relative 'safety' of his childish 'antics. In much the same way that insecure singers/musicians create visual distractions to take the focus off of what they believe to be their flawed talent, maybe McEnroe's trying to deflect attention away from his actual - and present - game with all of the 'antics'.
He may well be of the belief - deep down - that he has greater talent as a circus act than as a tennis player.

If so, it's a shame, as his natural tennis ability is obviously both rare and unique - and appreciated by knowledgeable fans of the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit
The best thing he could've done was parody his former self. Had he not taken himself so seriously, or his image, then he could've been a great ambassador for the sport.
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit
IMO, the Senior Tour thinks it has to have him to put butts in the seats. But, it was my experience that he ran more butts off than attracted.
Quite likely.
Especially parents who bring their children to a Senior's match, only to hear McEnroe's abusive expletives...
Then he comes on TV (yet again) and tells everyone that children are the future of the sport, and need good influences...

sigh...

Last edited by Deuce : 05-03-2007 at 11:04 PM.
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote