View Single Post
Old 03-31-2004, 06:35 AM   #1
marc tressard
Rookie

Default Why are ESPN Commentators Afraid of the Truth?

As is their wont, ESPN switched suddenly from the fine Martin - Pavel 1st set (at 4-4) to cover Williams versus Craybas in its incredbly meaningless excruciating entirety. Worse is that at the outset neither expert commentator would opine: "Look, I think this will be a mismatch or blow out." Sure, I understnd why they show Serena and I am hardly a basher of the WTA -- I relish competitive WTA matches greatly -- but this was just a waste of very limited coverage. Why would these two experts not just speak the truth? Instead: "This is a good test for Serena as Jill is a counter puncher." Yes and maybe if Jill was on fire it would have been 2 and 3! The reality is that Serena employs higher skilled hitting partners and I and others would sooner see her play them. Yes, a good test for Serena! The refused to break from the carnage even as Martin and Pavel went to a tiebreaker. I am not naive and know this is what we'll get all spring and summer, it's just that the commentators should tell it as it is.
marc tressard is offline   Reply With Quote