View Single Post
Old 07-24-2007, 01:36 PM   #16
JavierLW
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevhen View Post
This weekend I am playing 4.0 doubles in a tourney and I looked at the competitors and two 4.0 guys I have never beaten and I have won all my 4.5 matches this year so I am a very strong 4.0. Why haven't these two other guys been bumped up already? One used to be 4.5 but asked for a medical exemption and has since been hiding out by playing doubles where the scores are closer but he still wins most every match even with a weaker 4.0 player. These guys won't play 4.5 because they would win a fair share there and get bumped up. The system is screwed because it allows for too large a range of players within one level and doesn't bump people up fast enough. It should be more fluid and allow people to move down more quickly too. Every one should find their level within about 10 matches or so.
If you are just looking at wins and loses, that's not really any sort of basis for getting moved up or down.

It's a skill level, not a ranking. You can be within a certain group of people's skill level and lose everytime (but close), that's why it's based on games, not matches won or lost....

That's why it seems that the levels are really huge. (because they are...)

If you want to blame someone, you should blame the people who constantly work the system because they care more about winning matches then playing competitive tennis, and blame the people in the league who water down the rules to cater to them (which is what causes the inconsistancys).

If the league cant get past that, they arent going to do it your way either. (because people will never want to "quickly" move from one level to another, and certain people in the league will always cater to that and call it being "player friendly")
JavierLW is offline   Reply With Quote