View Single Post
Old 07-24-2007, 05:48 PM   #32
Cindysphinx
G.O.A.T.

A few quick words in defense of those of us who play up . . .

I can't get behind the idea of restricting who can play up. There is already a natural barrier to having Truly Horrible Players playing up: captains. If you really stink, a captain won't take you or won't play you unless to avoid a default. (I am guessing, Ace, that you'd prefer to beat up on a weaker player than show up to find out the other team is defaulting your court).

And what would you do with players like me, who Stank The Place Up in 2006, got some lessons, and play much better in 2007? Should I be prevented from playing a level up (as I did) because I didn't earn a "+" based on my abysmal 2006 results?

Lastly, in our area a significant reason people play up is lack of matches at their rating level. For spring 2007 3.0 season, my team got 5 matches per player with 17 women on the team. That's not much. Since you aren't allowed to join a second team at the same level to get more matches, your only option is to play up. (Or join a team in a far-flung locale).

Maybe they should let players compete on more than one team at their level, with the stipulation that they cannot play for either team against the other?

Cindy -- who doesn't mind beating up on 2.5 players at all