Originally Posted by Ace
1. I might prefer getting a default rather than paying to play a crappy match, when I have friends I could be playing/practicing with for free.
2. Nobody should be defaulting at the last minute anyway.
3. Lack of matches isn't a good excuse. You can always find people to play with, it doesn't have to be "USTA".
4. Captains aren't keeping people from playing up. What we see is a crappy player decides to captain a team, because a good captain won't let them play, they create an entire team of crappy players. AND we see a lot of 3.0's that are too "proud" to play their own level, they would rather tell everyone they play "3.5", even if they are getting their butts kicked every match.
5. Thats ok, when I was a 2.5 and my first year of 3.0, I thought I should be playing up too....I shouldn't have, I sucked. I realize that now. If I got bumped up to 4.0 this year, I would definately NOT "play up" at 4.5. That would just be silly.
Also, I agree with Javier that some people SHOULD play up. But you should have some sort of idea if you are that person or not. I knew because I played a winter club league against some of our better 3.5's and started winning most of my matches. Eventually I will become a 4.0, and when I am doing very well at 4.0, then I will know it is time to play 4.5....but not "just because I can".
While I agree with some of your points, I would say that this is still far less of a problem then people playing below where they should be.
Reason being is people get better, and everyone gets better from playing better opponents eventually. Nobody gets worse from playing worse opponents (they just get bored except for the people who only play because they want the "thrill" of winning every single time).
You are right about whole teams usually moving up. I happen to be a 3.5 captain myself though and I dont mind playing these teams as long as there is only 1 or 2. In our league individual matches count so it's still a challenge as a team because you have to beat them 5-0 to keep up with the other teams.
It's also hard to complain about this at 3.5. At least not here, 3.0 is the lowest men's division there is, so 3.5 is the 2nd worst division. If you are compaining, just think about all those poor "real" 3.0 players who have to deal with the rest of the players who will never win a match ever.