View Single Post
Old 08-26-2007, 06:27 PM   #1029
zapvor
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlite View Post
Yeah, he lost to Gabashivili 3-6 7-7(9) 6-1. Still has some mental issues but hes young (19 in a week!).

And he is playing, hes in the top section of the bottom half of the draw. First round against Potito Starace, could face Djokovic in the 3rd round. Hes only played in two other slams, Beat Henman for his (and Latvias) first grand slam win, and took a set off of Baghdatis in Wimbledon.

I heard of him last year, where he played Ancic in the QFs of St. Petersburg, and Ive always followed his results since then. Hes made tremendous progress, this time last year he was playing and winning futures. Hes one of 3 guys born in 1988 in the top 100 (Del Potro and Korolev being the other two). And hes coached by Niki Pilic whos worked with Becker, Goran, Ljubicic, Ancic, and most recently Djokovic and from what Ive heard Pilic sees a lot of potential in him, as do I. Ive seen him play singles and doubles for Latvia in DC, and hes. He kind of reminds me of Ancic mixed with Djokovic, if thats imaginable, but well see where he goes in time.

Well, I figured since hed be in NY hed probably get tons of pics of pros we all know, but he wouldnt know to look out for Gulbis. Just alerting you to a good player to watch out for!
sounds like someone has a crush