View Single Post
Old 12-13-2007, 02:10 PM   #7
ACS
New User

I'm not sure that I remember this match too well (as an Agassi fan, it's too painful to go back and watch), but I also do not remember a change in tactics by Becker...in retrospect, the famous baseline-to-baseline forehand winner really stands out as the turning point

what I do remember was that, coming in to the match, Becker had to go to 9-7 in the fifth to beat Pioline in the quarters - no shame in that, but Agassi was looking so strong that I felt Agassi would likely win in straight sets (remember, Agassi owned Becker at that point)

and it certainly looked like Agassi was on his way to an easy victory early on - as i recall, he played about as well as I ever saw him play up to 4-1 in the second set...then, Becker played a good game to break him, and Andre was never the same...his passing shots (which had been razor sharp) were sitting up for Becker to put away...by early in the third set (or maybe earlier), Agassi's eyes had that "deer in the headlights" look, while Becker was walking like he owned wimbledon

(that's how I remember it...but my bias is obviously slanted towards Agassi)
ACS is offline   Reply With Quote