Thread: The Bump Slump
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2008, 01:22 PM   #4
OrangeOne
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindysphinx View Post
Gads. The Winter season hasn't even started, and already I'm in a slump. My volleys are landing short of the net. I'm double-faulting multiple times per service game. I'm sometimes missing the ball entirely on groundstrokes or volleys; if I keep it up I'm going to start whiffing my serves. I find myself calling out "Yours!" on balls I once would have considered mine. My overheads are tentative.

See, I frequently find myself in situations where I am now the weakest player on the court. Today I partnered with a lady who would be an ideal partner for me, except I stank so badly that I think she'd do anything to get away from me. We had the same playing style, only her volleys were good and mine were bad.
If you're the weakest player on the court, you're going to cop more than your fair share of balls, and certainly more than your fair share of tougher balls, so proportionally, you'll feel worse than you are.

My advice is boring, simple & corny: Let go of the things you can't control. No point worrying about being the worst player on court, you can't change who else is on court. No point worrying about the praise you get, unlikely to change that either. No point worrying about the score either, for that matter.

Focus on the silly yellow fuzzy thing, 100% of the time. It makes the game so much simpler (and less stressful!).