View Single Post
Old 01-24-2008, 03:26 AM   #10
SJP
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moz View Post
Having read lots of threads on here about improving your game, playing tournaments etc and currently being between careers in a mid life crisis sort of way I have been inspired to do what I do best. Bugger all.

So from now on I am a full time tennis player. Having not played tennis at all during my 20's and never really been coached as a junior I am giving myself two years to see where I could have ended up. At the end of the 2 years I will have turned 37.

I am currently a 4.5 NTRP and 5.2 LTA Rating and spend my time between the UK (mainly), the USA and perhaps a few others. I will also be playing some over 35's events - that being the lowest official age group for British and International veterans.

Anyway, as you can tell by my ratings I'm not particularly good but determined to improve. If you're bored enough you can follow my exploits at:

http://oldmanontour.blogspot.com/

Any tips / comments gratefully received.
Good for you for taking an alternate path in life. I am also doing the reverse retirement concept. After one too many stressful projects at work (I was a consultant) I decided to take a break to do, well, nothing. I go to the gym a lot, play tennis, have lunch with my friends, drive slow on the road, read books, it's great. No clients up my you know what asking for this or that. Now I'm one of those people sitting around in the whirlpool at the gym in no rush while everyone else is running around getting ready to go back to work. It's amazing to play tennis without all of that other stuff in my head.

I've not been at this for that long, but so far, its been great. At first, I was so happy to be away from work that the thought of returning made me want to throw up. Then, out of nowhere, I missed my old life. I even missed going to the airport, getting lost in major cities, hotel living, all of that sort of thing. I started to worry about going broke. It's easier for me because I'm married, but I still worry about it sometimes. So be prepared for those moments. I think its hard not to miss whatever life you had before.

Good luck with your tennis, and with life. If you start to have second thoughts, do a search on sabbaticals, etc. and you'll find that there are a lot of us out there.
SJP is offline   Reply With Quote