View Single Post
Old 03-23-2005, 07:44 AM   #39
chad shaver
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelle
I guess Filipinos have a bad reputation when it comes to international travel, mainly because of the problem of illegal immigration.

For example, it's extremely difficult to get a tourist visa to the United States. You need to schedule an interview with a consul several months before your trip, a stack of documents is required to show you have property and bank assets in the Philippines (they require this to make sure you have something you'll need to return to and to make sure you have enough money for your stay and won't have to work there to get money), and even if you have these, there's a chance the consul will have a bad feeling about you and simply deny you a visa, no explanations given.

If we had a strong tennis federation in the Philippines I could believe we could swing a few visas for the top Filipino players, but so far I don't see such a thing.
It's the same thing trying to get here from any country. I was engaged to a girl from the Dominican Republic. It took three years to get her an Alien Fianceť (sp?) Visa. There were lots and lots of paper, lots and lots of standing in line, a flat rejection the first time, and a final approval 2 years after the initial rejection. Did I mention that the INS (Immigrationa and Naturalization Service) is a part of the Department of Justice? Trust me, they treated ME like a possible criminal, too. All that shhhhtuff is expensive, too.
chad shaver is offline   Reply With Quote