View Single Post
Old 02-01-2008, 06:36 AM   #26
spiderman123
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernatural_Serve View Post
I have to disagree with that.

Topaz had it right about respecting the rules.

Common sense is often the rationale for people inventing, manipulating, and falsely interpreting rules, especially by people who haven't taken the time to learn the rules.
Or it is used by people who know the rationale behind a particular rule and are willing to use their common sense to resolve a situation quickly and in the friendliest manner. We can definitely agree to disagree but it is difficult for me to appreciate someone blindly following the rules without thinking first why that rule was formed.

Quote:

I really get irritated by people who have never read the rules making up nonsense in the middle of the match that might be persuasive, might even be common sense, but are simply wrong and their common sense bullsh*t invites unnecessary arguments and fights that cheapen the game.
This is different. Not knowing rules is very different from knowing the rules and willing to overlook it at times. Again the example would be catching a ball 4 feet behind baseline in a timed match with 2 min to go to save time perhaps.

Quote:

The rules aren't based in common sense. They are based on principles of what is best for the game. That is a critical thing to understand and respect.
Yes they are. That is how they evolve. If they were not, the sport would never be popular as human intelligence will refuse to accept it.

I will give you an extreme example (please bear in mind that this is an extreme but true example which can be intrapolated to what we are discussing). I think this happened about 15 years(or more) ago in a Japanese (I think)school. The school was very strict about being on time and decided to have a door that closed automatically when the school started. A girl who was desperately trying to make it to school was crushed to death as the door did not open when it touched her.

Yes, the rule of being on time was in the school's best interest.
Yes, that child was running late.

But common sense demanded that the door should have opened then. See how common sense is a driving factor in our lives. That brings me to another example of driving. If people don't use common sense while following traffic rules, there would be many many more accidents.

Quote:
And some of them are counter to common sense, especially the ones that would invite gamesmanship. For example, Its common sense to me that if the server serves a ball in doubles and it hits the opposing net man that the server shouldn't get the point, but the rules say the service team get the point since the ball was never given a chance to bounce.

I can see all kinds of unschooled people using common sense saying "that ball never had a chance of going in. It was out by 6 feet, its a fault" and I would say, "you are absolutely wrong and have never read the rules of tennis"
And I would say in some of these cases that you are not using common sense. That rule is in place to make sure that the doubles partner does not invalidate a good serve by poking their racquet or does not stand so close to the line that the other person loses some of the serving confidence in the fear of hitting or a curved serve being invalidated because it hit the doubles guy.

Now if the person is standing in the doubles alley and is not paying attention to the server for whatever reason, and if the "abide by rules" server decides to hit him with a first serve, the server will get the point, you can throw the book at them but please don't tell me that the server will not lose any respect because of this.

Quote:
If the server wants to deny himself the point and offer a "do over" or take a fault, that's his right but in no way an obligation regardless of common sense and bullying by an indignant opponent using common sense is wrong and it is bad for the game.
Nobody is saying that the server is obligated use common sense. If you read the poll again, it just asks if you would be willing to use common sense in these cases. And your answer is no. The people who support common sense cannot *make* you use common sense. But we can definitely defend our position when someone says common sense is overrated.
spiderman123 is offline   Reply With Quote