View Single Post
Old 03-23-2005, 09:48 AM   #40
nw tennis
New User

Default Pinoy here; useful link

Nice to see so many Filipinos in the house. How many of us miss playing on those shell courts back home?

Here's a link that might be helpful.
http://www.angelfire.com/id/ustc/philtahistory.htm

It speaks to some of the issues raised here, about the state of Philippine tennis. During the 80s, when I lived in Guam, I was able to see many of their top players play, including Rod Rafael, Felix Barrientos, Roland So, Manuel Tolentino and Joseph Lizardo and Andres Battad. Many, most notably So and Barrientos, were quite competitive in the states as juniors or collegians, but never achieved great success as professionals. They played Davis Cup and many satellite and challenger-level tour events. I do know some of them are still involved in the sport. Andres Battad runs a tennis school out of Hong Kong and the Philippines.

By the way, does anyone out there know where Rex Calaunan is, and what he's doing tennis-wise? I used to hit with him regularly when he was a 10- to 12-year-old junior player in Guam. I lost track after he went to the UW, then transferred back to the Bay Area and played for St. Mary's.
nw tennis is offline   Reply With Quote