View Single Post
Old 02-01-2008, 03:23 PM   #54
10sguy
Rookie

Consider this: It's quite apparent YOUR shot will land well beyond the opponent's baseline; your opponent catches it in midair and you let it slide. NOW, this happens several times . . . so have you set a lax/casual precedent by letting it previously slide? Now your opponent may well feel no hesitation to catch ANY ball which COULD conceivably be out. You have potentially created a very uncomfortable situation for yourself by overlooking the letter of the rule.

I like, and have used Kyle's first paragraph example above: "The first time someone caught a ball that was sailing way long, I'd say something along the lines of, 'You really need to let that bounce next time, technically I could claim the point since you touched it before it went out.' In that instance I'd let them have the point."

Personally, I was playing in a National USTA league event many years ago when our opponent caught a ball which looked like it was going long. I didn't hesitate for a second; I claimed the point. The opponent had a short hissy fit but his partner told him I was right. From my perspective (I knew (myself well enough), I knew darned well that had I not (rightfully) claimed that point and had lost that particular game, I would have had a very tough time getting that out of my mind for the rest of the match. (note: my partner and I won the match, our team won that match, 2 - 1 . . . and I never regretted my action, not for one second.

FINAL NOTE: You can probably apply this example to any "technical" rules violation one decides to occasionally ignore. It's really simple; always play by the rules (LEARN THEM) . . . you'll have more fun - and possible help others do the same (by politely educating them).

Last edited by 10sguy : 02-01-2008 at 03:25 PM.
10sguy is offline   Reply With Quote