View Single Post
Old 02-02-2008, 11:11 PM   #67
Hooooon
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fe6250 View Post
Well said! I think the basic issue here is that there are rules to every sport that need to be followed to define and allow competition for a fair game. That said, most sports have umpires, referees, and officials to call the game for them - unlike tennis which relys on the players to make the calls (at least at the amateur level). You do run into some more unusual situations in tennis than other sports - at least in my opinion.

A couple of examples of this that are on the unusual side:

- I can call a foot fault on my opponent
- I can penalize the opponent for catching the ball
- I can give my opponent a LET pretty much anytime I want to

These require ME to call the infraction or offer the play over

- I CAN'T call a double bounce on my opponent (even if it is clear)
- I CAN'T call them for crossing over the net (even if it is clear)
- I'm pretty sure (please correct me if I'm wrong) that I can't even call them for HITTING the net

These require them to acknowledge the infraction occurred.

Line calls are called by the person receiving the shot - but can be deferred to the opponent, however the opponent may call his OWN shot OUT - except on first serves.

While all these rules are important to fair play and probably should be enforced strictly in tourneys, especially at the highest levels of play - there are a lot of new players trying to get their heads around the game and a good sportsman offers at least a little latitude (perhaps a warning on the first offense or misunderstanding).

My opinion anyway.
you cannot call footfaults on an opponent, and the player who stops the ball before it bounces has to admit doing so (not necessarily agree with the rule)
Hooooon is offline   Reply With Quote