View Single Post
Old 02-03-2008, 09:00 AM   #19
LuckyR
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindysphinx View Post
She's ahead of me (closer to net) only if I didn't move with her. Which is part of the question.

If she moves forward from the baseline to approach (or hit a ball on which she should approach but might not approach), am I supposed to "stay with her" or get ahead of her? That was the dilemma. Don't even get me started on what I do if she hits and backpedals . . .

Spot's answer makes sense. Which is why the drill is confusing. If the opponents are two back (after all, we were receiving the feed with all four players at baseline), then . . . I guess maybe it's just a crummy drill.

Maybe we need a thread for that: Crummy Drills Pros Should Stop Making Us Do.

A couple of things;

1- You would only be both back if it is in the middle of a point and you just got lobbed, or you are returning a killer serve and you guys made the conscious decision to play 2 back.

2- If it is the latter situation, your opponents will both be at the net, which is not the situation of the drill, so forget that. That leaves us with the "returning a lob" situation.

3- You should be also play from no-man's land with your partner when the ball is struck and you should approach together

4- This is regardless of your comfort level at the net, because...

5- One up/one back is a much weaker formation than 2 up.

6- If your partner makes the error of hitting a short ball then retreating to the baseline, you probably should retreat with her (your team has bigger problems than what to do with this situation).
LuckyR is offline   Reply With Quote