View Single Post
Old 02-07-2008, 01:45 PM   #6
Backboard
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinamerica View Post
I am not from Puerto Rico but I would guess that I could do some damage at 3.0. Maybe I could re-rate down a few levels.

I know some people who have played agains the Caribbean at Nationals in one year or the next and they all have said that the line calls are blatantly bad. They also say the fans are really loud and obnoxious. This has been pretty universal in my non-empirical discussions with those who have played them. From what little I have read on these boards, the same thing is said.
Lost,

I congratulate the Caribbean for consistently sending strong teams to Nationals.

However, I agree with your last comment. In 2007 both the men's 3.0 teams from New York and the team from Florida were the victims of numerous bad calls by Caribbean players. And in the semi-finals Caribbean vs Inter-Mountain some of the Caribbean calls were just horrible _ obvious bad calls at crucial times.

But their fans were the worst. On one court in the finals, they had about 20 fans yelling insults and calling our player names in Spanish. (Our player spoke Spanish & knew what they were saying.) After we won the deciding match, one of their female fans gave us the "middle finger salute". (I wish I had taken a picture of that!)

QUESTIONS:
1) THE USTA MUST SEE THIS. WHY DO THEY ALLOW IT TO GO ON EVERY YEAR?

2) The Caribbean must have some type of Sectional USTA office. They must know they are getting a bad reputation. Why doesn't their Sectional office try to do something to improve sportsmenship?
Backboard is offline   Reply With Quote