Thread: Sprained Ankle
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2008, 04:54 AM   #16
Rickson
G.O.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by origmarm View Post
I agree with this. I recently injured my shoulder again and wow what a difference it makes to have prompt ice application.

It has always struck me as strange though that the body's natural reaction over a significant evolution period is not better than this i.e. if the blood pooling in that area is a bad thing, why doesn't the body pump it through and not allow it to collect. Anyway sorry, random evolutionary ramble
That's because it's a good thing in the long run, but definitely not a good thing initially. We obviously need blood flow, but not an overflow of blood when we're injured which is exactly what happens. The body's reaction to the injury site would be great one week after the injury, but we get the displeasure of getting that response immediately and that's where we should intervene. It's similar to the body storing bodyfat which is a good thing for the long haul, but we never reach that stage where we need that stored bodyfat (stranded with no food for many days). The body's just trying to protect us so we can look at it like our helpful, but stupid friend.
Rickson is offline   Reply With Quote