View Single Post
Old 04-15-2008, 08:27 AM   #8
Bungalo Bill
G.O.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothtennis View Post
Call me stubborn or dense, but previously, I just couldn't get the ideas of inside and outside shots through my thick skull. It just didn't quite make sense. Then I watched the Chuck Kreisse vids someone posted this week, and FINALLY understood what those terms meant.

I went out this weekend, and hit trying to employ just three of those directionals - Outside balls go crosscourt, inside balls - can change direction - weak shots, I can hit down the line aggresively if I choose. Otherwise, no changing directions on balls, and limit the DTL shots.

Well - I can't believe what a radical improvement this made in my play. Three things happened that surprised me.

1. I had so much less 'noise' in my head. I didn't have to decide on what shot to hit, I already knew, so I just set up and hit it. It was mentally so much more comfortable hitting this way.

2. Consitency was improved, not just because I choose the right shot - but because there was no hesitation as to what shot to hit. I noticed how much quicker I could set up.

3. I put my opponent in way more trouble than I usually do, and I hit with my regular hitting partner, so I know how we hit. I guess simply because the percentage of power in the shots used was greater than single segment shots - even though it seemed much more predictable as to what I was going to do. I thought he would start to groove on me, but the high percentage shot was still just that - the high perentage shot - whether he expected it or not.

It just felt so good kinda knowing exactly what was going on out there for a change. It was mentally relaxing hitting this way, not to mention - it just works.

In fact, I'll be honest here. I am kinda freaked out how great it was hitting this way. I am seriously excited about this.
Just wait till you watch a pros match. Try and watch the strategies and how they try to move the ball around. Obviously the pros can defy the Directionals somewhat but you will see them in use often.

Take note when a player goes for a very risky shot to change direction and get a better matchup. Makes watching tennis much more interesting. Also note the serves and the returns and how the players try to position themselves for the rallies in the point.

When you mix in the Directionals, matchup tactics, you will really enjoy watching tennis.

Last edited by Bungalo Bill : 04-15-2008 at 10:30 AM.
Bungalo Bill is offline   Reply With Quote