View Single Post
Old 04-16-2008, 09:27 AM   #24
TennisDawg
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyR View Post
I am not going to argue with golfers having more fun, if you define "fun" as enjoying the sunshine, the chirp of the birds, the pretty view of the lake, the anticipation of a cold beer at the clubhouse, the joy of closing the deal with your work buddy. But if you are talking the "fun" of sports competition and beating down on the other guy, it's no competition, tennis is vastly superior to golf in that sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyR View Post
I am not going to argue with golfers having more fun, if you define "fun" as enjoying the sunshine, the chirp of the birds, the pretty view of the lake, the anticipation of a cold beer at the clubhouse, the joy of closing the deal with your work buddy. But if you are talking the "fun" of sports competition and beating down on the other guy, it's no competition, tennis is vastly superior to golf in that sense.
Yes, I am talking of the fun you just described. But, you do leave out the skill required in golf and although not as physical the skill is just as challenging as tennis. In someways it requires more skill because you must deal with different courses and the terrain, etc. I also wouldn't use the term superior in comparing the two sports, but just pros and cons. I believe golf is way less complicated in terms of lining up playing partners and getting out and playing than Tennis. Less complication, means more relaxing. Tennis players seem to carry a lot more baggage with them when it comes to getting out to play. Questions and comments like: What is your NTRP? How long ya been playin? I beat so and so? I don't care for those courts? You a member of the Tennis club? How old are you? I played High School Tennis? Back when I played on the collegiate team!

The biggest downside of Tennis is lining up practices matches, it is far too complicated. You should be able to show up at a city park and get a pickup game, much like going to a city park or YMCA to play basketball. Best team or best player wins, simple as that!

A big downside to golf is the green fees, if it weren't for the green fees, I would play more golf.