View Single Post
Old 07-09-2008, 01:46 AM   #10
aussie
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Tym View Post
I find this to be misleading. Yes, there is a difference in time and convenience, but that's not all when comparing entry-level machines to professional caliber. Professional machines lose less tension during the stringing process, are more consistent, do less damage to the strings which can lead to premature string breakage especially with fragile strings such as gut, etc.

There's nothing wrong with the string job of an entry-level machine per say if you're only stringing for yourself and settle in on a tension on THAT particular machine that you like. However, the string job produced IS different and not the baseline standard.

This coming from someone who started off on the entry-level machines. Whatever machine you use, you get used to the results it produces and groove your game around those results; just don't expect to string for discerning customers and expect to give them exactly what they're used to if they're used to getting their rackets strung on a professional machine.
I string on a Klippermate for some very, very good players and whether they qualify as "discerning" or not is open to conjecture, but they to a man are very happy with the string jobs I do for them. These are guys who have had their frames strung by a former US Open singles champion and other high profile pro stringers and my jobs match the tension and quality they expect. The thing is, I can produce on my Klippermate quality, consistent string jobs that play as well and last as long as jobs produced on expensive machines by pros. They don't care that I take much longer than the pros, only in the end result.

So, !Tym, whatever the "baseline standard" is, I seem to meet and probably surpass it which is more than many pros with "professional machines" seem to do.