View Single Post
Old 05-14-2005, 07:54 AM   #13
Grinder
Semi-Pro

Last year, I played a big server and beat him in a 3 hour match, 7-6 4-6 7-6, but I was playing terrible, my return game was about zero. Recently, I had two really tough back to back (1 week apart) challenge matches against the serve and volley player below me on my high school team. This guy is a 6-4 African American guy who is about a high 5.0 that consistently hits his first serves in the 120's and has a nasty one handed backhand and serves and volleys. He's got great touch at the net, so the key is to pass him. The first match went 1-6 6-4 5-7. This was a very dissapointing loss because I was up 5-2 40-15 in the final set and also held a couple more match points and couldn't hold on. Once again I played him again, this time I jumped out to a quick 5-1 first set lead but he came back and tied it up at 5-5. I managed to hold on and take the set 7-5. The next set, he came out very strong and took it 6-0. in the third set his momentum kept going and he took a 5-2 40-0 lead. I managed to hold and fight it off until deuce and eventually win the game. I then played some of my best counterpunching tennis and took a 6-5 lead. He held serve and we proceeded to a third set tiebreaker. I eventually won 7-4 in the tiebreak, but it was a quite a match, with the final score being 7-5 0-6 7-6(7-4) over 3 and a half hours. It took especially long, because my game is playing heavy topspin several feet behind the baseline, rallying and then capitalizing on the short ball.
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote