View Single Post
Old 08-30-2008, 11:21 AM   #48
BreakPoint
Supernatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBlade Pro View Post
They don't make a claim of increasing the buyer's performance, but they do make the claim that a certain pro uses a particular racquet. For example, if you go to the Babolat web page and you click on "Aeropro Drive," you will see the statement "used by Rafael Nadal." (Cortex technology is shown so we can assume that they mean the cortex version.) Now based on that statement, any reasonable person would conclude that Babolat means that Nadal used the racquet shown on that webpage. But is that true? No, if you believe that he uses the non-cortex version with PJ. This is false advertising! They lied. They didn't say he's using a variant of the racquet or a previous generation of the racquet. No, they are saying he is using this racquet!

And he is not taking the stock racquet and customizing it. He is using a previous generation of the current racquet, which qualifies it as a whole different racquet. The fact that Babolat is advertising the new cortex version as new means that even they see the cortex racquet as a separate racquet from the previous generation.

Just the fact that they feel compelled to try to cover up the actual racquets used by the pros with PJs means that they are trying to hide something. It's deceptive and it's false advertising.

Did you feel lied to when you first found out about PJs? I certainly did. I never bought a racquet based on that fact that some pro is using it, but I still felt lied to... by the players and by the companies. The bottom line is they're stating a fact that is false, and that is false advertising.
No, I never lost a minute of sleep over paintjobs because I don't buy racquets just because of the pros.

And, no, it is not false advertising because the company did not fail to deliver a promised benefit from the use of its product.