Thread: Bench Press
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2008, 05:24 AM   #113
chess9
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by heycal View Post
Okay Rickson and others: I'm 45 years old, 5'10", 165. I have a little flab/love handles, but also a somewhat athletic phsyique due to past gym memberships and for the last ten years doing regular but not super strenuous dumbbells workouts along with chins and push ups at home. I'd like to change things up now, be a little more consistent and focused, and build some addditonal muscle mass for looks and to burn more fat. My main goal is vanity, looking a little bit more fit and athletic so I can continue chasing young girls.

In addition to doing some aerobics here and there, I'd like to hit the gym every 3 or 4 days for no more than 30 minutes. Keep it simple, short, and manageable.

So, can I achieve some decent gains on top of my base level of muscle mass by doing the following:

UPPER BODY

2 sets chest press
2 sets shoulder press
2 sets arm curl
2 sets tricep extension
2 sets seated row
2 sets chins

Virtually of these will be done on machines, not free weights. I've had ten years of dumbbells, so I'd like to try machines for a change of pace. (Don't worry, I'll come back to free weights down the road a bit.)

LOWER

2 set "super squat" squat machine
2 sets incline leg press
4 sets calf machines

Plus some abs and lower back stuff.

Any glaring omissions from this workout that will prevent me from hitting all muscles groups and reaching my goals? Any needless redundancies?

I await comments. Thanks.
Just a couple of comments:

1. The above looks like a good start, assuming you are not a noobie, but at least an intermediate.
2. After about a month of the above, start looking on the web for other exercises to do, like lunges, one legged squats, hanging leg lifts, floor sweepers, and many more. Your body needs variation as it will get accustomed to your workout routine. So, shake things up.
3. Be sure to have some rest built in, and I don't mean a rest DAY, I mean a week, say, or maybe two, where you don't lift at all. Also, get plenty of sleep every day. Oh, and don't lift heavy if you are feeling really sore or a bit down. Just go to the gym and do some very light work with the weights and maybe a light bike workout or swim.
4. Get your diet right! Being strong can't be done just with lifting because with the wrong diet you might get fat, injured, or sick and have to go back to square one. If you were to ask a top trainer for help, the first thing he's likely to ask you for is how many carbs, protein and fat, in grams, you eat per day. If you don't know, then you aren't training right!
5. Set realistic goals. You are still very young and could get quite strong with just some modest dedication, like two or three days per week of smart lifting.

EDIT: Something else. I'd do squats every workout for the first month. You should live and die on the squat rack for a month to push up your testosterone levels. Do the squats FIRST in your workout.

-Robert

Last edited by chess9 : 09-01-2008 at 07:28 AM.
chess9 is offline   Reply With Quote