View Single Post
Old 11-13-2008, 06:36 PM   #11
JavierLW
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by burosky View Post
If you are referring to the rule pertaining to "hindrance", keep in mind that if the hindrance is coming from your opponent you have to make sure there is deliberate intent.

A lot of players have nuances that can be construed as hindrance. Some are done deliberately but some are just that - a nuance.
Actually the interesting part of the hindrance rule is that it defines "intent" as anything that you do that you have control over, not necessarily just anything you do to purposely distract your opponent.

An example of this would be a opponent of mine who has a bad habit of shouting out things like "OH NO!!!" when he feels he's hit either a easy put away or sometimes when he hits it out, only to watch it fall in.

Even though he didnt mean to distract me that is clear hindrance because he supposably should have enough self control to keep that from happening.

Getting stung by a bee or reacting to something outside of your control is something that isnt hindrance. They really should of used the word "voluntary" rather than "intent" because that's clearly what they were going for.

In the OP's situation it's hard. If the person was doing something to make his shoes squeek on purpose then it could be hindrance, but shoes squeeking probably isnt all that uncommon so it's hard call to make.

If they were slapping their thigh or stomping their feet though even if it's just a habit, I think it's hindrance if it distracts the other player. (because it's unnecessary and within their control)
Head YouTek Graphene Instinct - M:Babolat VS Black #59 X:Wilson NXT Black 17 #56
Volkl SuperGrip II Overgrip
JavierLW is offline   Reply With Quote