View Single Post
Old 12-31-2008, 04:51 PM   #37
Bud
Bionic Poster

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionel_101 View Post
Thanks for the info Bud.

Being simple minded as I am, it doesn't make much since to me, but I looked at it some more and it looks like to me like ....

1. When the bar is lower then horizontal, the string can't be at 50 lbs, but must be less depending on how low the bar is. This makes sense.

2. When the bar is level and completely horizontal then it is at the set tension of 50 lbs, no more and no less. This makes sense.

3. When the bar is ratcheted up one more notch from horizontal, it has to be also at 50 lbs, no more and no less. Sounds confussing now.

a. It can't be less then 50 lbs because it was at horizontal at one time and thus at 50 lbs.

b. It can't be more then 50 lbs because the drop weight isn't heavy enough to drop down the bar anymore because the tension on the string is at 50 lbs.

To test it out, I pulled some string through the first mains and mark the string at the frame.

a. When I put the string in the tensioner and started to tension it up, the mark move away from the fram as expected.

b. When the bar was level and horizontal (at 50 lbs), I marked it again at the frame .

c. When I ratcheted the bar up agian one more notch, the mark did not move. When I move it up again another notch, the mark didn't move. When I move the bar passed 50 degrees or so, the bar moved back towards the racquet and the mark went inside of the frame and lost tension.

All I can conclude is that....

If the bar is lower then horizontal, then keep ratcheting it up until it is level or slightly above level and then you will be at the tension you set it at, in this case 50 lbs.

What do you guys think?
Have you ever taken physics and/or trig? If you have it becomes very clear. Also, try the string thing I mentioned in my post... you'll FEEL the difference.
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote