View Single Post
Old 02-07-2009, 08:35 AM   #426
NamRanger
G.O.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormholloway View Post
I respectfully disagree.

Nadal hits a lot of different forehands, and he plays the shot with the higher finish as a more defensive and safer shot, but in my opinion his standard shot goes across his body.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmolgoM4p-I

Here he is practicing his forehand. Why would he hit it across the body almost exclusively if this weren't his standard shot? Only at the end when he is pushed a bit out of position does he finish over his head, and it only happens once. Is he just having fun? Messing around?

This hinges on what we are calling standard. Nadal hits ALOT more reverse forehands than the normal forehands. If we're saying standard is what stroke he uses more, he typically uses the reverse forehand finish more, especially on clay.

If you mean standard as in the "normal forehand" yes, you can call that wrap around his "standard" forehand I guess. Although it would be ambiguous to some, which is why I say his reverse forehand is his standard forehand, and the "normal" forehand is his finishing forehand.