View Single Post
Old 04-06-2009, 06:22 PM   #24
krosero
Legend

Here's another that looks good.

Kafelnikov-Krajicek, 1999 USO quarterfinal, 7-6 (0), 7-6 (4), 3-6, 1-6, 7-6 (5)

The Record (Bergen County, NJ):

Quote:
Krajicek won 87 percent of his first-serve points, broke the single-match record for aces (46 set by Goran Ivanisevic in a first-round Wimbledon loss in 1997), and hit an astounding 82 winners to Kafelnikov's 48. The Dutchman, seeded 12th, actually won two more points overall than Kafelnikov, but they weren't enough to advance.
The ATP has Krajicek winning 87% of points on his first serve, and leading 169-167 in total points.

New York Daily News:

Quote:
After being aced an unbelievable 48 times, Yevgeny Kafelnikov finished off Richard Krajicek with nothing else but an ace.

The Russian withstood a record-setting barrage of aces from the 12th seed before emerging with a 7-6 (7-0), 7-6 (7-4), 3-6, 1-6, 7-6 (7-5) quarterfinal victory that lasted three hours and 20 minutes on Louis Armstrong Stadium court last night.

Krajicek set a men's record for most aces in a best-of-five Grand Slam match, topping Goran Ivanisevic's 46 aces in a 1997 match at Wimbledon.

Ironically, Kafelnikov, seeded third and winner of this year's Australian Open, aced Krajicek for the 10th time to move into his second Grand Slam semifinal of the year. He needed four match points in the tiebreaker.

"I was pretty nervous," Kafelnikov said. "I was so nervous, I didn't know how I made that ace."

Kafelnikov said earlier in the tournament that either he, Krajicek or Andre Agassi was going to win it all. Yesterday, Krajicek and Kafelnikov played the first two sets almost evenly, despite Krajicek's 25 aces.

In the third and fourth sets, Krajicek broke Kafelnikov twice in each set. Meanwhile, Kafelnikov couldn't touch the Dutchman's first serves as Krajicek converted a scorching 82% of them in the fourth.

Kafelnikov, though, was able to beat Krajicek by taking advantage of his less-blistering second serve. The Russian won 48 of 75 points off that serve.
The ATP has Krajicek at 49 aces, but no problem otherwise; they've got Kafelnikov hitting 10 aces and winning 48 of 74 points on Krajicek's second serve.

The most recent match in which I know aces and df's were counted twice is still the 1999 W final.

Last edited by krosero : 04-06-2009 at 06:25 PM.
krosero is offline   Reply With Quote