View Single Post
Old 05-11-2009, 02:28 PM   #62
Cindysphinx
G.O.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiden031 View Post
I guess we all perceive things differently. What I notice is that my game gives virtually every 3.5 woman a hard time because of the spin and pace. There are plenty of 3.5 guys who my game will not phase much, so I have to win because of athleticism and consistency. There's a big difference between how someone plays against neutral shots and how they play against offensive shots. Thats the biggest difference between 3.5 men and women IMO. In other words, it is far easier to force an error against a 3.5 woman.
So you're saying that (in doubles), you can hit the same passing shot at the 3.5 man at net and a 3.5 woman at net and the woman will be more likely to make a hash of the volley? Really?

I have to say, one of my biggest problems in mixed is that the only time I get to play mixed is during a match. I get a 10-minute warm-up, and then Wham. The match starts, and I have to adjust to different pace and different spin.

Even then, I do get the hang of it, usually around the middle of the second set. If I practiced with 3.5 guys as often as I practice with 3.5 women, I think I wouldn't have this unfortunate adjustment period in my mixed matches.

The problem I have with spin/pace tend to be with groundies and returns. I don't think the spin and pace are as big of a problem when I'm at net. After all, it is much easier to volley a ball that comes with pace than one where you have to create your own pace. Right?

That said, I do have a question of sorts for Raiden: What do 3.5/4.0 women partners bring to the table in mixed?