View Single Post
Old 05-21-2009, 12:26 PM   #63
coloskier
Legend

On most hard courts, there will be a mark left by the ball, just like clay. If they call it out, I say "show me the mark". If they can't, then I know one of two things. One, they are blind. Or two, they are deliberately hooking you. Unfortunately, where I play, it is usually the later, even so bad that anything within 3 inches of the line is called out. It comes down to this: If they are going to call tight lines, then you have to do the same. If they are blatant about it and there is no umpire available, then you have to make it clear to them that their line calling is unacceptable. You can usually tell by their reaction to your remark on whether they are doing it deliberately or not. If they are indignant about it, then it is deliberate, and, unfortunately, the only way to get them to stop is to call one of their shots that lands in the middle of the court out. That will usually stop it. You have to let them know that they can't get away with it and that you will do everything it takes to make sure it doesn't happen again. If he argues, then make the offer to him that everything that looks close will be considered "in". If he refuses, then he is absolutely trying to hook you.
coloskier is online now   Reply With Quote