View Single Post
Old 05-25-2009, 08:17 AM   #11
OrangePower
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylebarendrick View Post
1. I agree that you (the OP) didn't do anything wrong. You weren't sure enough to make a prompt out call so you gave your opponents the benefit of the doubt. It is then their responsibility to play the point.
2. At the same time, if I think a serve is out but don't make the call and my opponent stops and says "that was out wasn't it?" I will usually agree and tell them to take a 2nd serve.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindysphinx View Post
I too look more charitably upon an opponent who catches the ball or makes no effort to play it than one who tries to play it and misses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NE14Tennis? View Post
I might have said, "You know I think the serve might have been long, but I didn't call it, my partner played it, and your partner played the return. What do you think we should do about it now?" In most cases, when stated that way, your opponents would be hard-pressed to ask for a let, but if they do, I'd let 'em have at least a second serve in the interest of good sportsmanship and harmony.
Had the opponents not made a play at the sitter at net (just caught the ball or whatever), I would for sure have given them a let - they would be confirming my suspicion that the serve was out.

But they played it, and missed. Two bites at the apple and all that. Despite that, if I had to do it again, I think next time I would offer the let just so that I would not feel bad about it afterwards
OrangePower is offline   Reply With Quote