View Single Post
Old 05-27-2009, 05:57 AM   #4
raiden031
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindysphinx View Post
What could be causing her to play so poorly that she can't beat players a full level beneath her? It certainly isn't that she is a poor singles player -- I've seen her play singles and she knows what she is doing.

Me, I think it is the pressure to win, plain and simple.

I think the atmosphere on some hyper-competitive teams can be toxic to a person's tennis. I know from conversations with this other captain that her approach is that you don't play if you can't win. That is a big change from a less competitive philosophy where you know you will get your shot and no one will hold it against you if you lose.

I also have some personal experience with this. I joined a competitive team this season, and it is the first time I've been on such a team. The jury is still out -- I've only played one match, and I lost. Did I feel tight during that match because of the pressure? You betcha. Do I feel like I will walk the plank if I don't win next time? Ay yay, Captain.

Has anyone else had difficulty making the transition to a competitive team? Captains, have you seen it among your players?
I find it doubtful that she is losing to 3.0 players because of too much pressure. Pressure might have an effect at times, but not that great of an effect.

I think either 1) they are not truly 3.0, hinted by the fact that they are playing up in a 3.5 league and beating someone who is a strong 3.5 player, or 2) she is not a good singles player. You can be athletic and still lose in singles if you don't have consistent strokes or the right strategy and shot selections. I started improving in doubles faster than in singles initially, then it sorta reversed.