Quote:
Originally Posted by siata94 View Post
I've gone IPA crazy and some the last month, thanks to this thread

imo:

Dogfish Head:
90 - superb
Midas Touch - way too sweet, never again on my dime
60 - ok, would drink it but wouldn't buy it again
had another DFH brew, can't remember which (might've been either the Indian Brown Ale or Raison D'Etre) but didn't particularly cared for it neither

Lagunitas:
Hop Stoopid - too sweet for me, not as hoppy as the name implies
IPA - didn't stand out for me neither

Anderson Valley:
Hop Ottin' IPA - also too sweet
Brother David Double and Triple - way too sweet
tried another 22oz of AVBC, forget which, didn't care for it neither

Marin Brewing Company:
IPA - ok, not too interesting for me
Porter - ok, I prefer Deschuttes Black Butte Porter

Full Sail:
IPA - did not finish the bottle, my drinking buddy did not neither
Pale Ale - we had it but I didn't bother

Sierra Nevada Harvest - superb, my fav during the experiment, unfor it's seasonal and I can't find it anymore

Green Flash Imperial IPA - superb, may be my new fav

Bear Republic Racer5 - still decent but no longer up there for me

Sierra Nevada Torpedo - so far the best bang for the buck at $7/sixpack, perfect for guests
You're my beer brother from another mother. We're pretty much in complete agreement. I grew up on the east coast and have been trying the various norcal micros since moving here a few months ago. My bro in law is a big Anderson Valley fan but I'm not. SN Torpedo is superb for the price. I probably like Racer IPA a little more than you. Any thoughts on Bear Repub Red Rocket? Good but not great, IMHO.

I lived in San Diego for 5 years and Green Flash Imperial IPA is one of my faves. Actually, it was my fave until trying SN Harvest. Best beer I've had in years. I can only find it in 22oz bottles in the Sacto area. The wife and I took the daughter to the state fair on Saturday and, lucky me, wandered by the "award winning craft brew" stand. I was able to get a 24oz Harvest on tap and later on, the Dogfish Head 90 IPA 24oz on tap. I was pretty much lit and happy at that point! Good thing my wife volunteered to DD that day

If you're ever back east, there's a small brewery outside of Charlottesville called Blue Mountain. They have a beer called Dark Hollow (an imperial stout aged in American oak bourbon barrels) that is, without a doubt, the best beer I've ever had. Too bad they can't ship to Cali (I've tried).