View Single Post
Old 09-06-2009, 01:41 PM   #49
ace0001a
Semi-Pro

Having started playing tennis myself in the late '80s, I know how racquets of that decade felt like. To me, the funny thing about racquet technology innovation felt like it got started in the late '80s. Basically when you look at racquets like the Prince Graphite or the Wilson Pro Staff, there were straight beam tradition design pinnacle racquets of their era. Eventhough the Donnay Pro One was a modest improvement on that technology, it was already "old technology" when it came out. In the brief widebody era that lasted from the late '80s to the mid '90s, we saw some innovation that still exists today. Granted that most racquets now are as ridiculously wide as widebody racquets were at the height of that era, they're not the thin boxy 19mm width from the era of the Prince Graphite. I briefly owned a Prince Graphite and I did think it was a great racquet. I only sold it because the grip size was too small and I didn't like the idea of having to build up a grip. Also being an Agassi fan, I ended up getting one of the Yellow/Blue consumer Pro Ones. If I recall correcty, it did feel like the Prince Graphite but not as solid. The first Head Radical to me felt just as solid as a Prince Graphite or Pro One LE, but also lighter. I think that was the case probably because there was a technological idea that the lighter the racquet is, the easier it is to generate faster racquet head speed. If you check ****, you'll find a Head Radical Tour for sale from time to time.
ace0001a is offline   Reply With Quote