View Single Post
Old 09-25-2009, 08:08 PM   #23
drwood
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datacipher View Post
You stated it was the first question he was asked. WRONG. You now ADMIT that in his very next sentence he STATED he was being a smart alec. CORRECT. I said it was meant in a lighthearted manner. IT WAS. The reporters LAUGHED. Sampras then said SAID he was being a "smart ***". HE THEN WENT ON TO say Rafter played similarly to him, and Edberg. I also noted that much of the press conference was about Pete's anger at the line callsa and that he was in a very bad mood. Sampras himself said it was the angriest he's ever been on court. Now, WHICH one of us better reflected the truth? I'll let others decide.
Pete said that he was being a smart aleck -- I don't curse, so I didn't quote exactly what he said. However, he never denied his true meaning about what he said, and didn't really start caring about the media perception of his feud with Rafter until AFTER Rafter beat him in the US Open SF to win his second straight US Open. Furthemore, Rafter and many other players couldn't stand Pete and his excuses whenever he lost, although Rafter eventually took the initiative to mend fences with Sampras.

Example quote from Rafter about Sampras (can be found on Sampras' Wikipedia bio):
"He really does say some funny things at the wrong time," said Rafter, "We are out there busting our guts and he doesn't show a lot of respect at the end of the day. He tries to play down the reason why he lost, giving no respect to the other player, and that is what really upsets me about him and the reason I try to [anger him] as much as I can." (reference: http://articles.latimes.com/2000/jul/09/sports/sp-50252)

Quote:
I think it's apparent who has the extreme bias and who is grasping at straws to built a amazingly feeble case. Comparing Sampras to Serena Williams repeatedly. That in itself speaks volumes.
It certainly is apparent who has the extreme bias and is grasping at straws...and its not me. Read the reference I just posted after Pete lost to Bruguera...those comments are just like Serena's after a defeat. That in itself speaks volumes. I am not a distorter of the truth. Period.