View Single Post
Old 10-01-2009, 05:59 PM   #21
borg number one
Legend

Chopin,

Let me add the following as to Borg. I think that you are leaving this out of your analysis above. Borg had to face down tougher competition AT THE TOP (SF/Finals) in the Grand Slams vs. both Federer and Sampras. Who did Borg face in his prime at the GS tournaments in producing his record? It was Connors (US Open and Wimbledon), McEnroe (US Open and Wimbledon), Gerulitas (Wimbledon), Vilas (French) and Lendl (French). All those guys, except perhaps Gerulitas, were WARRIORS, who were extremely tough to put away in matches, especially during the final rounds of the majors. Meanwhile, Sampras' biggest rival was Andre Agassi, and Federer has faced down a past his prime Agassi, Safin, Hewitt, Roddick, Djokovic, Nadal, and Murray. Of course, as Nadal has gotten a bit older, he has basically outperformed Federer (AO, FO, and Wimbledon wins against him).

So, Borg, in my estimation, has faced tougher competition in those final rounds. Plus, as I've mentioned, Borg's red clay record head and shoulders above the clay court records of both Federer and Sampras. He was a huge threat to win on any surface, including indoors, that he played on, and I don't think you can always say that about Federer and Sampras was typically a non-factor at RG and the last FO win by Federer still does not elevate him on clay to anything close to Borg's level. Stamina on the part of Federer is also a concern at the French, in that at times vs. Nadal he looked completely overwhelmed. The same thing occurred perhaps at this year's US Open vs. Del Potro. Borg never exhibited that. I do agree with you that both Federer and Sampras have sustained their efforts over more years and they each have "faced down" competition. Yet, I would point out that such competition is not on par with the competition that Borg faced, in terms of the other star players he was competing against.

Last edited by borg number one : 10-01-2009 at 06:00 PM. Reason: typos
borg number one is online now   Reply With Quote