View Single Post
Old 10-31-2009, 06:05 AM   #20
jean pierre
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodjem View Post
1977 is a very tough year to call, one of the toughest. Lots of debate on here about it. I orginally had Vilas as no. 1, but have been persuaded that Borg deserves also an equal rating (Borg 3-0 against Vilas that year). Connors did win the WCT Finals and the Masters, but why the heck did the ATP computer rank Connors as no. 1?

Question: in what part of the year did Gonzales retire in 1960?

I remain convinced that in 1964 Laver was marginally better than Kenny: all the stats point in this direction. The case for Ashe higher than Connors in 1975 does seem strong. I bow to consensus. Edit made on 1978: Borg alone.

Agassi looks like a very close no. 2 in 1995, but not quite. In 1999 Sampras looks like a very close no. 2, but not quite.

Yes, Borg 3-0 agains Vilas, but Vilas's results are very very very better than Borg's, so Vilas is the n1 (Federer has been a long time n1 even if he lost against Nadal, because his results were better). With the ATP computer of today, Vilas would be n1 during several monthes. It's absurd that Connors was n1 ATP this year.
jean pierre is online now   Reply With Quote