View Single Post
Old 11-02-2009, 05:12 AM   #41
pc1
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreyneave View Post
facsis event is not a touranment it was tour of italy of one night stands. it 11 to 10 for tournaments ; whether you count as extra win for tours is another matter. the official 1964 rankings are stupid just as the atp rankings in 1977 with connors number one are.
I'm not necessarily counting the Facis event but I was trying to understand where Joe McCauley found eleven tournament victories for Rosewall. The Facis trophy seemed to be the most logical reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban View Post
The 1964 Facis series was a series of matches, divided in two parts, one in summer (when Laver didn't participate) and one in autumn, when Laver dominated Rosewall. Overall Rosewall won the series, because he played the whole series. On wikipedia discussions going on the basis of McCauley alone, i pleaded at least for a co-ranking of Laver and Rosewall, and i think Jeffrey did the same. I am contend with a co- ranking, no problem for me.
The internal ranking of the pros was always a bit problematic and eclectic, in 1959 for instance, Hoad came on top of this point race of 15-18 events, which all got the same number of points, while most people saw Gonzales as the World Champ. But speaking of now, because of Andrew Tas new findings, Laver's claim for 1964 imo gets even stronger. It seems that Laver had the best of the Australian/ NZ tour in spring over Hoad and Rosewall, then Rosewall won the US tour in spring and early summer (Gonzales second and Laver third), but Laver won the climactic event at Boston (Rosewall had a bout with foot poisening in the sf). In Europe in the summer, Laver and Rosewall were close, with Laver winning the World Champs at Wembley. Then at last, the South African tour was dominated by Laver. One other factor besides the head to head in favor of Laver is the the overall win-loss percentage (Jeffrey mentioned it), which Andrew Tas put on another thread. I wrote it down somewhere, but for the moment cannot find it. Maybe Carlo or Andrew Tas can put it here.
I have some more detailed information on 1964 and I'll check it tonight when I have some time.

It's a matter of semantics. I think Laver had the best year yet at the same time I believe Rosewall has a claim since he was officially the number one player. Push comes to shove I would pick Laver as number one for 1964.

Either way the discussion on this year is very interesting.

Last edited by pc1 : 11-02-2009 at 05:21 AM.
pc1 is offline   Reply With Quote