View Single Post
Old 11-02-2009, 01:55 PM   #41
Bungalo Bill
G.O.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindysphinx View Post
Hey, Chess?

I played some 7.0 mixed doubles yesterday. Opponents were a 4.0 guy in the deuce court; 3.0 woman in the ad court.

Throughout the first set, the guys held and the women were broken. This left us at 5-5 with the other woman stepping up to serve. We broke her. Which meant it was up to me to serve out the set. :gulp :

I was having all kinds of trouble on my serve. I hadn't played in six weeks and I had zero footwork, which mean zero groundstrokes. The 4.0 was crushing my serve back to me almost before I regained my balance, and I wasn't getting these balls back.

I suggested to my partner (3.5 guy who is not comfortable at net) that he line up Australian, which he had never heard of. I explained it quickly. On the first point, the 4.0 sent his return to my partner, who missed the volley. On subsequent points, the 4.0 decided instead to take his return DTL.

And guess what? He missed. He missed once into the net and once long. I'll never know why he missed, but I suppose that having to take his FH to his alley on a ball curving toward him up the middle threw him off just enough. Those errors were what we needed for me to hold, and we won the set.

Which backs up the theory that Australian really can disrupt a grooved returner.
There you go. In general, that is what the Aussie does. It forces the returner to go directly at the netman or try to hit it DTL. If he is not used to that, and has always played "hit it crosscourt" which many recreational players do, your chances to end the point quick on your winner or their error increase!