View Single Post
Old 11-02-2009, 04:50 PM   #34
xFullCourtTenniSx
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve728 View Post
First, to all, this has been an enjoyable and informative thread!

Second, to xFull (Dr. Lead Tape) or anyone else, I have a few follow up questions. If I put 2 grams at 12 o'clock, but also put 2 grams at 9 o'clock and 2 grams at 3 o'clock, is this essentially the same as "putting lead all around" the hoop? Does this negate any benefit of either the depolarized or polarized set up? Or does it give you some of the benefits of each? I'm counterbalancing these weights with lead in the handle, which is mostly on the grip 7" above the buttcap, in order to maintain HL balance. If it's okay to keep lead at all three places on the hoop (4 grams total at 9 and 3 & 2 grams at 12). Would this make it a primarily depolarized set up with a little more racquet head speed and spin? Any proper proportion for this kind of set up, such as putting 3 grams at 9 and 3 o'clock with 1-2 grams at 12 o'clock? Or is it just better to stick with one set up and sacrifice a little? I guess I kinda want it all! A bump up in swing weight, stability, and spin, while maintaining maneuverability and minimizing the increase in static weight.

BTW, for some reason, putting lead just at 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock wasn't great for me. Hasn't been good for me with any racquet I've tried. Maybe because the sweet spot moved?

Unfortunately, I'm trying to figure this out with as little tinkering as possible because I have Head CAP grommets and would love to be able to hide the lead under them before the grommets get too flared to re-use.
I'd stick to one setup, then once completed with that setup, add lead as necessary to fix any problems not yet already solved. So I'd depolarize it, then add lead at 12 if necessary.

I've polarized a racket heavily, then added a little lead at 3&9 to increase torsional stability. It worked perfectly.

A depolarized setup with give you extra spin anyways if you have enough lead at 3&9. You probably won't notice it until you hit about 6 or 8 grams total. The idea is to get the racket up to your ideal swingweight range. If you've added all the mass you needed but can still add weight, either keep adding to the same places, or place it at 12 until it feels perfect (since that adds the most swingweight with the least increase in mass).

And yes, lead at 10&2 will raise the "sweet spot" a little, as does placing lead at 12, but at least contact is still in line with where the lead is placed, so it isn't as noticeable. That's why I generally like sticking to lead at 3&9 or across the top of the hoop.

And if you want to keep maneuverability, I say stay away from lead at 12 as much as possible. You can still put it there, but refrain from using excess lead there, since as I said before, it will result in the racket being more difficult to precisely control, which is the key to hitting your best shots (and trick shots) under conditions where you shouldn't be able to. Federer's racket head control is better than anyone else's I've ever seen, and we know what he can do with the ball, even on the full stretch.