View Single Post
Old 11-04-2009, 01:21 AM   #46
xFullCourtTenniSx
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
So putting lead 7" from the end is only for players with a 1HBH? Why would moving it up maybe 1" make it that much different? Also, why would that RAISE the SW since the weight is closer to the center? Would I be better off putting the weight just above the buttcap and also at 3/9? What do you recommend?

Also, wouldn't the ultimate in depolarising a racquet be to just add all the weight at the throat?
Theoretically yes, but at the same time you can also say the absolute ultimate is to put it all in the buttcap. Like I said, weight at 3&9 is the best way to get extra power and plow through. From there, you add counterbalance. If all the weight is added to the throat, you aren't maximizing power. The goal is to get the mass you want while reaching the swingweight you want at the same time, but at the same time, you want real results for doing this, otherwise why do it right? That's why you add lead to the head and stop before you reach your swingweight goal, then counterbalance since that will add swingweight as well (though not nearly as much).

And swingweight increases anytime you add lead anywhere on the racket. The farther up it is though, the higher the swingweight increase. If you want to experiment, put 20 grams in the buttcap, and swing it. Then take out that 20 grams, and put 20 grams at 12 and swing it. You'll notice the weight at 12 significantly increases the amount of weight you feel when you swing the racket.

And 7" above the buttcap can be used by anyone. I personally find anything higher up makes it more difficult on the serve and forehand, but some people can easily handle it, and for them I either suggest more lead at 7" above the buttcap, or stick with the lead higher up at the same amount. Really though, if you play a two handed backhand it shouldn't be that much of a problem. The weight is still closer to the contact point than the buttcap, which will give you more power than putting the weight in the buttcap. And one inch will be noticeable, but probably not huge. 3 or 4 will be pretty big though, depending on how much you put there. I used 10+ grams, so every inch of difference is quite significant to the resulting feel and swingweight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace0001a View Post
Ok in after skimming through the posts so far, I'm starting to think information overload...granted I think I just need to read up more on racquet customizing techniques. So specific to myself, I have a collection of Head Radicals and obviously the post 1998 ones have all gradually become lighter. So if I wanted to make one of the newer ones feel like the older classic ones in heft and swing weight, where would be the best places to put lead tape and how much of it?
It depends. Has the balance changed at all? How much weight has it lost? How has the performance been affected?

If you could measure the mass, balance, and swingweight of both rackets as well as describe as accurately as possible the difference you notice in power, spin generation, plow through, stability, and so on. I think mass, balance, and performance should suffice. Swingweight IS important, but it's not as straightforward to calculate as the rest unless you have a machine that measures it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerli View Post
@XFull

1) Thanks for that helpful thread!

2) You gave us a link to traverajm "how to set your rac. like an ATP pro"

In step 6 is a formula where to find the balance point: R=44,57/sqrt(M)

I have one rac. Prince EXO3 Rebel 95 where this formula works together with lead at 7" from butt perfectly. By the way I have 12g at 52, 10g at 7" that brings the rac. to an overall weight of 379g (13.37), 310mm bal. point(10.4HL)
and a SW of 356. This must be an excellent depoarized setup. So far so good!

With most of other rac. you canīt use this formula exactly, because bringing the SW around 355, reconmend counterbalance lead, directly to the butt cap and this is not the idea of a depolarized setup!

My question now:
What is more important?
) bringing the rac. in the near of SW 355, counterbalance at 7", and have a bal. point of about 320mm (7pts HL) or
) following the formula but then you will acieve only SW in the 340 range or less?
Could you clarify on the section I bolded please? Are you talking 52 centimeters (about 25-26 inches) up from the buttcap? lol

I've heard about problems with that equation as well, where the racket is already depolarized (meaning the racket company made a good racket with a good setup in the weight distribution). The thing when you try to depolarize a racket using this procedure is that since the polar moment of inertia is already low, to lower it the weight has to be placed lower. Sadly, this results in less power although the general goal is achieved. In such a scenario, I say just build up on where it already is instead of trying to lower it. This is why 7" above the buttcap works so well for most people. It's a place where heavy amounts of added weight is still very manageable while still high up enough to get a little more power on the ball.

I say if you know what your final swingweight and mass you want to have, then go for that, because there's pretty much only one way to get there.

If you follow the guidelines he posted, there are troubleshooting steps at the end as well as a note to not fear tweaking it to whatever you feel works the best in your hands. I personally start off with weight in the head and test out how it feels. If it feels good, then I'll counterbalance it (since it doesn't increase swingweight by that much). Once I'm done counterbalancing it, I modify how high/low and how much I use through trial and error. Nothing matters more than how the racket feels in your hand when on the court. Generally that produces the best results. Of course, when I polarize a racket, I counterbalance before any trial because it just doesn't feel right without at least a little in the buttcap for me.

If you have a general goal in mind, follow that. Then look to fix whatever you did wrong there and try again. Nothing is 100% on the first try. If it is, then you had a pro doing the job for you, and he read your mind and knows you and your game far better than maybe even God. (Or you gave him an excellent description of what you wanted and he did that for you and you were more than satisfied though the truth is that it's still maybe 80% of what it could be.) If you're going without a goal though, you'll be adding lead slowly but in the end you'll find your exact specs for sure. But I say shoot for something, and see if it's close to what you're looking for, then walk from there. More often than not you should be pleasantly surprised (or at least by the second shot you should).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
So what is someone with a 2HBH to do? If the ideal spot on the handle is 7" from the end. That will put it right under your top hand.
^^^"And 7" above the buttcap can be used by anyone. I personally find anything higher up makes it more difficult on the serve and forehand, but some people can easily handle it, and for them I either suggest more lead at 7" above the buttcap, or stick with the lead higher up at the same amount. Really though, if you play a two handed backhand it shouldn't be that much of a problem. The weight is still closer to the contact point than the buttcap, which will give you more power than putting the weight in the buttcap. And one inch will be noticeable, but probably not huge. 3 or 4 will be pretty big though, depending on how much you put there. I used 10+ grams, so every inch of difference is quite significant to the resulting feel and swingweight."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace0001a View Post
Yes, excellent info from xFull...So if I understand this correctly, if I were to try to make one of the newer lighter Head Radicals feel like one of the older classic ones heftwise, I would want to put lead tape at 3&9 and top of the handle? I remember reading here how someone was asking what newer racquets would make a good replacement for an older Head Radical and someone else recommended the Liquidmetal Radical, but to add lead tape to it...though they never explained where on the racquet and how much.
^^^Like I said, need a bit more information as I don't possess these rackets and have no idea what their specs are as well as how they feel and perform on the court. Otherwise I'd spend a free day or two experimenting on them for you and telling you what I found to work for me. Actually... Might take a week unless I do my customizations on the court.