View Single Post
Old 11-06-2009, 03:16 PM   #52
jzn10nis
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xFullCourtTenniSx View Post
I'd stick to one setup, then once completed with that setup, add lead as necessary to fix any problems not yet already solved. So I'd depolarize it, then add lead at 12 if necessary.

I've polarized a racket heavily, then added a little lead at 3&9 to increase torsional stability. It worked perfectly.

A depolarized setup with give you extra spin anyways if you have enough lead at 3&9. You probably won't notice it until you hit about 6 or 8 grams total. The idea is to get the racket up to your ideal swingweight range. If you've added all the mass you needed but can still add weight, either keep adding to the same places, or place it at 12 until it feels perfect (since that adds the most swingweight with the least increase in mass).

And yes, lead at 10&2 will raise the "sweet spot" a little, as does placing lead at 12, but at least contact is still in line with where the lead is placed, so it isn't as noticeable. That's why I generally like sticking to lead at 3&9 or across the top of the hoop.

And if you want to keep maneuverability, I say stay away from lead at 12 as much as possible. You can still put it there, but refrain from using excess lead there, since as I said before, it will result in the racket being more difficult to precisely control, which is the key to hitting your best shots (and trick shots) under conditions where you shouldn't be able to. Federer's racket head control is better than anyone else's I've ever seen, and we know what he can do with the ball, even on the full stretch.
I thought combining weight at 12 and 3&9 would not work well? I tried your depolarized setup recommendation and I do admit that your correct. But I still disagree that my setup has a negative effect/impact to my game. After tennis warehouse added the power potential and plow through index to their tool, it showed that I'm missing a significant power potential with my setup compared to polarized and depolarized setups. The only downside of your recommendation is it's less maneuverable even though it's depolarized, but the stability and power is better. It'll be perfect if it allows me to use my wrist to generate spin. Any additional recommendations?
jzn10nis is offline   Reply With Quote