View Single Post
Old 11-06-2009, 09:40 PM   #53
xFullCourtTenniSx
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
just a question.......wouldn't getting frame that has the exact weight/balance you like be preferable to leading one up to reach that same point? Or is it sometimes better to have some of the weight concentrated in the areas that you want? In other words, if I prefer a 340 gram racquet....should I get one thats already 340 or get one that's 330 and add 10 g's to 3/9 and the handle?
Well here's the thing. Back when I used stock K90s (even now it's not too much different from a stock K90), the n90 also had the exact weight and balance I liked. I hit with it, and I hated it. I could totally play with it, but the weight distribution was horrible.

If you can find one, take a stock racket that plays exactly how you like it to. If you can't, then find something a little lower than what you're looking for, and add lead to make it better.

I was actually once considering trading my US K90s for the Asian versions, because I'd have more room to customize and could create a heavily polarized K90 and end up with the exact weight and balance I wanted. Decided against it though, because the K90 played well enough for me, and I was afraid that if I did it, it'd be the exact same thing as the US version, hence wasting my time and money to lead it up.

This is why we demo rackets. It's how we look for what works for us. Though you can almost always improve it with a little lead, especially as your game improves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzn10nis View Post
I thought combining weight at 12 and 3&9 would not work well? I tried your depolarized setup recommendation and I do admit that your correct. But I still disagree that my setup has a negative effect/impact to my game. After tennis warehouse added the power potential and plow through index to their tool, it showed that I'm missing a significant power potential with my setup compared to polarized and depolarized setups. The only downside of your recommendation is it's less maneuverable even though it's depolarized, but the stability and power is better. It'll be perfect if it allows me to use my wrist to generate spin. Any additional recommendations?
Sometimes it's necessary, but avoid doing it 50/50. If anything I'd do it no more than 75/25. I prefer leaning more one way that I need in my game, and after that I add lead to whatever feels like would fix any final bugs. And doing both won't have a direct negative impact to your game, but it will limit what you can do with your racket. Generally efficiency is the goal here.

If you want more spin, there are 2 things you can do:
-move some of the throat weight to the head, and move the rest a little lower
-take off some weight

The higher and the heavier the counterbalance weight is, the less spin you get overall. This is why the counterbalance weight for polarized rackets is all the way down into the buttcap. Also, the more weight to the head, and higher up, the more spin you'll get. Lowering the weight will make getting the racket around and generating heavy spin much easier, but you get less power (which can be fixed with lower tensions anyway). So it really depends on what you need more - maneuverability or spin? Maneuverability will add some spin, but YOU will have to be the major contributor to produce it.

Also, at the net, maneuverability isn't a huge issue. All you need to do with a heavy depolarized racket is to keep the racket in front and block the ball into the open court (sometimes putting a bit of punch on slower balls). A depolarized racket is so stable and has so much power and control that you get a lot for a little at the net. It's like them hitting the ball at a wall. Your main concern should be on getting the racket head up and the strings on the ball with contact out in front.