Thread: Clay Court GOAT
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2009, 01:27 PM   #48
boredone3456
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodjem View Post
Yep. Vilas did a great record (particularly on clay) in 1977. No doubt about that. Borg skipped the French Open in 1977 because he was under contract with WTT.
Its sad, given their stats against each other on clay that year, they had some good matches, that their was no match to be had at the french between them. However, even though Borg had some wins over Vilas that year, Vilas was the superior clay courter of the two overall I think, had Borg been able to play and win the french, you could probably then make the argument otherwise, but seeing as we can only speculate on that Vilas was superior that year.

In terms of the thread topic, Borg though is in my opinion the clay court GOAT. I know some are overly critical of using just Roland Garros as a judge or simply picking someone who won it a couple of times, but not doing so would be like annointing someone the GOAT on grass who played at and never won Wimbledon, the biggest Grass Court prize. My List right now

1. Borg
2. Nadal
3. Rosewall
4. Lendl
5. Wilander
6. Vilas

Vilas is sixth because of the fact that he fell in FO finals to people higher than him on the list several times. Other important clay court tournaments give him his ranking though, his clay court win streak was amazing, but on clays biggest stage he had a tough time beating his biggest clay rivals consistantly.
boredone3456 is offline   Reply With Quote